General Studies-I: Indian Heritage and Culture, History and Geography of the World and Society.
Indian Heritage and Culture
- Salient aspects of Art Forms, Literature and Architecture from ancient to modern times.
- Modern Indian History from about the middle of the eighteenth century until the present.
- Significant events, Personalities and issues.
- The Freedom Struggle-its various stages and important contributors/contributions from different parts of the country.
- Post-independence consolidation and reorganization within the country.
History of World and Society
- History of the world will include events from 18th century such as industrial revolution
- World wars, Re-drawal of national boundaries, Colonization, Decolonization
- Political philosophies like communism, capitalism, socialism etc. their forms and effect on the society.
- Salient features of Indian Society, Diversity of India.
- Role of women and women’s organization
- Population and associated issues, poverty and developmental issues
- Urbanization, their problems and their remedies.
- Effects of globalization on Indian society
- Social empowerment, communalism, regionalism and secularism
Geography of World and Society
- Salient features of the world’s physical geography.
- Distribution of key natural resources across the world (including South Asia and the Indian subcontinent)
- Factors responsible for the location of primary, secondary, and tertiary sector industries in various parts of the world (including India)
- Important Geophysical phenomena such as earthquakes, Tsunami, Volcanic Activity, Cyclone etc.,
- Geographical features and their location-changes in critical geographical features (including water bodies and ice-caps) and in flora and fauna and the effects of such changes